Executive Director of Finance
Summary: This position, a member of the Trinity Executive Team, has primary responsibility for activities related to developing, managing, and stewarding the funds to facilitate the mission of Trinity Church and Trinity Christian School. This includes providing oversight of the financial affairs of Trinity, Inc. serving as the organization’s Chief Financial Officer.
The success of Trinity’s reputation and ultimate ability to achieve its vision of “sustainability” rests on the cultivation of branding, donor trust, donor support, confidentiality, and effective communications. This position requires creativity and innovation and a close working relationship with the Chairman of the Trinity Church Elder Board (the Senior Pastor), the Senior Executive Pastor and the Executive Team, the TCS Board, the Chairman of the TCS Foundation Board (the TCS Superintendent), the TCSF Board, and the TCS Advancement Team.
As with all Trinity positions, it is expected that the individual filling this role exemplify the vision and core values of Trinity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervisor Responsibilities: Accountant, TCS Receivables/Payable Manager, Budgeting, Finance, Investments and Loan Management.
- Ensure that appropriate and accurate accounting records are maintained for both the Church and the School, including: general ledger; accounts payable and receivable; payroll; fixed assets; bank accounts; investments and tax reporting; individual contribution records; monthly financial reports.
- Implement accounting processes and procedures that conform with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practices commonly accepted in the non-profit accounting world.
- Coordinate development and preparation of the church budget. Work with the Administrative Elders in a monthly meeting to oversee the budget spending. Work with Pastors and Directors on spending out of range with the budget.
- Prepare a monthly financial report for the Administrative Elders, Elders, Senior Pastor and Executive Team.
- Attend meetings and communicate with the Board of Elders on a quarterly basis. The primary objective is to ensure strong communication of financial position and to provide insight and information pertaining to trends that may affect the financial future of the Church.
- Serve as staff representative to the Administrative Elders. Provide staff leadership in this area to ensure accurate communication and interpretation of financial matters.
- Coordinate and monitor purchasing of equipment, furniture, supplies and other items. The goal is to ensure that the best cost/benefit decision is made, using competitive analysis/bidding when necessary.
- Stay abreast of the current financial trends and changes within the Church and Nonprofit industries.
- Research, evaluate and sign all financial commitments and contracts.
- Evaluate and implement strong internal controls over financial operations to ensure proper safeguarding and accounting for all resources.
- Oversee and facilitate annual audit by an outside CPA firm.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and technical regulations pertaining to financial/business matters, including the Department of Labor, IRS and financial accounting regulations.
- Ensure that appropriate and adequate insurance coverage and investment opportunities are in place including: property/casualty, liability, health insurance program (partially self-funded plan, administered by a TPA), 401K, benefits for executive level staff (disability and life insurance)
- Work with the TCS Superintendent to develop an annual budget and ensure proper accounting for all financial and business transactions. All work is done with the priority of maintaining unity between Church and School.
- Administer the work of the Business Office by encouraging teamwork and mutual support and providing leadership and training to staff members who work in the department.
- Establish departmental goals and objectives by prioritizing related programs/projects, planning an appropriate budget, delegating tasks and evaluating progress regularly.
- Work with appropriate committees, officers and leaders in carrying out the business affairs of the church.
- Attend staff meetings and retreats.
- Cooperate with the Senior Pastor and Executive Team by performing any other duties when asked to do so.
QUALIFICATIONS: A bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field; 10 years experience in Accounting or Fundraising, preferably with non-profit organizations, CPA certification, a Master's degree in Accounting or related field is preferred. Any equivalent combination of experience, training and education which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum 5 years management/supervisory experience.
Help develop the Vision, Mission and Values Statement of Trinity Church and Grow in personal discipleship through: Bible study, Life groups, Prayer, Giving of Tithe and Offerings.
Must be a member of Trinity Church
Affirms that Scripture defines the roles of male and female and Romans 1:21-27; Romans 1:24-32 condemns the homosexual lifestyle. (1 Cor. 6:9-20; Eph 4:1-11, 5:3-5)
Trinity Church and School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law as it applies to churches. However, Trinity does discriminate on the basis of religion.